Senior Services Committee
Contact: Ms. Barbara Riggan 575-769-7908 firstname.lastname@example.org
Commissioner Rube Render – Chairman
Donna Labatt – District 1
Constance Williams – District 2
Shelley Winn – District 3
Vacant- District 4
Melinda Coslett – Curry County
Chet Spear, County Commissioner (ex-officio)
Barbara Riggan, Executive Director City of Clovis, Older Adults
The Commission on Older Adults now meets the second Thursday of alternating odd months (Jan, Mar, May, July, Sep, Nov) location and time TBA.
The Commission on Older Adults shall have the power and duty to make recommendations to the city commission and the city administration concerning programs to be conducted by the city for the benefit of older adults, and relating to the use of public funds, public personnel and public facilities of the city.
- There is established a senior services committee, consisting of nine (9) voting members: one city commissioner, who shall serve as chairperson; the president or other board member designee of La Casa Buena Salud; the president or other board member designee of Baxter Curren Senior Center; the president or other board member designee of the Friendship Center; four (4) residents from the City of Clovis, one from each district; and, one Curry County representative that resides outside the incorporated area of the City of Clovis. All members of the senior services committee shall be appointed by the mayor, with the advice and consent of the city commission.
- Any public member of the committee may be removed from office by the mayor, with the consent of the city commission after due notice that such member has missed three consecutive meetings or has been absent from fifty percent of the meetings held during any twelve-month period. In the event of any removal under this subsection, the position shall become vacant and shall be filled for the unexpired term of the appointed member in the same manner as set forth herein.
- The ex-officio, non-voting members shall be designated as follows: The City of Clovis Senior Services Director, a Curry County Commissioner, and one representative from American Association of Retired People (AARP), Retired Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP), Foster Grandparent Program, 50+ Senior Olympics, and Curry Residents Senior Meals Association (CRSMA). Ex-officio, non-voting members shall be designated by the organizations they represent.
Term of Office – -Vacancies.
- The terms of the voting members of the senior services committee shall be three years. The terms of the voting members shall be staggered as designated and determined by the administration of the City of Clovis.
- Vacancies of the voting members of the senior services committee shall be filled by the mayor with the advice and consent of the city commission, and all vacancies shall be filled for the unexpired term of the appointed member.
Meetings – – Organization. The senior services committee shall establish a regular meeting date, which shall meet at least quarterly. The city commissioner shall serve as chairperson. At the regular meeting of the senior services committee occurring during the month of July of each year, the senior services committee shall designate one of its members as vice chairperson. The vice chairperson shall serve for a term of one year, with the term expiring at the regular meeting in July of the next succeeding year.
Duties and Responsibilities. The duties and responsibilities of the senior services committee shall be to:
- Advise and assist the city commission in the development and application of policies and programs relating to senior citizens.
- Evaluate policies, plans, procedures, codes, resolutions, ordinances, and rules and regulations of the city relating to senior citizens.
- Take necessary action to obtain from citizens, expert consultants, commissions and boards, comprehensive comments and recommendations relative to senior citizens.
- Make reports to the city commission of the activities and recommendations of the senior services committee.
- Investigate, research, review and provide recommendations as directed by the city commission.