Cultural & Ethnic Affairs Committee
Contact: Mr. Selmus Price
Commissioner: Ladona Clayton
Selmus Price, Chairman
Meetings are scheduled at 12:00 p.m. on the first Monday of each month in the Small Conference Room of the Bert Cabiness City Government Center, 321 N. Connelly.
To make recommendations to the commission regarding City related Cultural & Ethnic Affairs activities, in particular the annual Ethnic Fair.
The committee shall be composed of six members and one city commissioner to be appointed by the mayor, with the advice and consent of the commission. Members shall be broadly representative of various ethnic groups and all fields of the arts.
Members of the committee shall be residents of New Mexico and shall be persons who are widely known for their professional competence and experience in connection with the arts.
All members shall be appointed for a term of three years. Vacancies resulting from the death or resignation of a member shall be filled by appointment for the unexpired portion of the term of the member creating the vacancy.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To advise and assist public agencies in planning civic activities.
- To foster appreciation for the fine arts and for ethnic activities that create cultural diversity within the arts.
- To encourage the creative activity in the arts of residents of this city, to enhance knowledge of cultural diversities and to attract to this city additional outstanding creators in the field of fine arts through appropriate programs of publicity, education, coordination and direct activities such as sponsorship of performing and visual arts.
- To make a report to the city commission, not less frequently than annually, on the activities and progress of the committee and on the recommendations of the committee for expenditures which the committee feels necessary to further its purpose.
- To accept on behalf of the city such donations of money, property or memorials as, in its discretion, are suitable and shall best further the aims of this chapter. The committee shall be empowered to accept any additional gifts, contributions or bequests from private persons, corporations, foundations or agencies, or the federal government. Such monies so received may be reemployed as part of a revolving fund to be used to further the purpose of this chapter.