The Department of Building Safety is responsible for the permitting, inspection, and plan review of all building, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical projects throughout the City of Clovis and within a five mile radius thereof to ensure that the current construction standards and codes are followed. To meet these ends, we have adopted the 2015 International Codes and the 2014 National Electric Code. Before beginning a project, please take a look around our website and contact us for information concerning specific permit applications and guidelines. As a fully integrated building services department, we will be happy to assist you with more information about inspections, code compliance, fees, and planning procedures.
What projects require a building permit?
- A building permit is required to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of any commercial or residential building or structure. This includes accessory buildings, curb cuts, signs, pools, and other projects and repairs to be determined by the Building Official.
What projects do not require a building permit?
- Cosmetic alterations including (but not limited to): paint, trim, floors, tile, etc.
When should I apply for a permit?
- A building permit must be taken out before construction begins on any project.
Who should obtain the permit?
- Commercial construction requires the permit to be taken out by a contractor who is licensed by the State of New Mexico and currently holds both a New Mexico State License and a City of Clovis Business License.
- Residential construction permits can either be taken out by a homeowner who owns and occupies the single family residence in question or by a licensed contractor (who currently holds both a New Mexico State License and a City of Clovis Business License).
- Electrical, Plumbing, and Mechanical permits shall only be obtained by licensed contractors (who currently hold both a New Mexico State License and a City of Clovis Business License).
How do I obtain a permit?
- You can download many applications for building permits from our digital documents library.
- Stop by the Building Safety Department at 1221 Mitchell Street or call us at 575-769-7829 and we can help you figure out exactly what you need.
Inspection of each major phase of a construction project is required to ensure that the work performed conforms to the code, building permit, and approved plans. The company responsible for doing the work is required to request each inspection. A 24 hour notice is required on all inspections.
Most inspections may be scheduled through the Building Safety Department Secretary at 575-769-7829.
Other Building Safety Divisions:
We are available to help during our normal business hours:
Monday – Friday, 8 AM – 5 PM
1221 Mitchell St.
Clovis, NM 88101
Phone: (575) 769-7829
Director: Pete Wilt